Thursday 22 January 2015

Alternative to Indonesian Mie Goreng (Fried Noodles) : Spicy Beef Linguini Noodles

Living abroad is  a courageous thing. New place, new language, new culture, new everything! You are living outside your comfort zone and basically have to do a lot of adjustments in order to fit in. Change can be hard for some people.

A little bit about me, I dislike substitute! So as you can imagine, in my first year, it was hard for me to taste Indonesian food that didn't really taste like Indonesian food back home. Certain things you just can't get, right? And sometimes, those little things make the difference in cooking. The taste, the aroma is just not the same.
Anyway, as years go by, I started to get around my head and accept the fact that substitute is okay, alternative is fine; and embrace it. Still not wholeheartedly, but I embrace it with an open mind.

So, this recipe is the alternative to Indonesian Mie Goreng (fried noodle). If your grocery store runs out of  egg noodles, don't get cranky and go home with nothing; grab some linguini pasta!
I know, I know... It's not the same. I hear you! But, we are talking about substitute, right? Alternative! So, give this a try! And despite that I know you will say "it's not the same"; I know you will admit that it's tasty.



Ingredients:
375 g or 12 oz linguini pasta
12 oz ground beef
2 bags (5 oz each) baby spinach
5 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp. hot sauce (If you have sambal ABC, great! If not Sriracha will do)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
Salt and pepper

Preparations:
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook for 6-8 minutes until al dente. Drain. Set aside.

Using the same pot, heat the oil over medium heat until it's hot.
Add ground beef, cook for 5-7 minutes until the beef is browned and cooked through.

In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and hot sauce.
Pour the mixture to the beef, follow with 2 bags of spinach. Mix well until the spinach has wilted. About 2 minutes.

Add cooked linguini to the pot. Toss the beef mixture with the pasta until it's heat through.

Serve with fresh ground pepper on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment