Sunday 22 February 2015

Nasi Kuning (Yellow Rice a.k.a Turmeric Rice)

 
Nasi Kuning is loved by many Indonesians. It is often present in celebrations and comes in a form of a cone. The cone shape
 has a symbolic meaning in Javanese culture as mountain is believed to be a sacred place that is closest to heaven. So in a way, it is a form of prayer.

I don't know about you, but I find this is so beautiful. I am a foodie and I find myself closest to God when I eat. I know that heaven exists, as I've been there many times when I eat good food. Yes, I do think food is sacred. To me, food is a form of prayer, gratitude and love. So, whenever you feel like you want to send your prayer through food; and spiced up your kitchen, make this easy Nasi Kuning and wow your guests!

Ingredients:
1 cup rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1 stalk lemon grass
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt

Preparations:
Put all the ingredients in a sauce pan, cook, covered, over maximum high heat until it boils. Once it boils, turn down the heat to low, covered, and continue cooking until the liquid is absorbed by the rice; about 12 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir the rice, covered and let it cool a little bit.

You can make the cone from a thick poster paper. My husband got it from the Dollar store. Pack the rice to the cone and plate it.

You can serve Nasi Kuning with other recipes that I have posted in this blog. It will go well with Rendang (Indonesian Beef Stew), Tempe, Sliced omelettes, Corn Fritters, and many more. It's very versatile and easy to mix and match. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment